Best paired with Due Amici Marinara Sauce
The only bad thing about making a meal is the difficult clean-up. With this one-pan mozzarella stuffed chicken parmesan, you can have an amazing meal without having to worry about a tornado tearing through your kitchen.
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons garlic and herb flavored tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (Extra)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder, divided
- 10 thin slices Mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar Due Amici Marinara Sauce
- Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly pound fillets between sheets of parchment/baking paper to ¼-inch thickness using a mallet. Pat chicken dry; season with salt.
- In a shallow medium-sized bowl, whisk the the egg, garlic powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In a separate shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Panko, basil and parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 tablespoon tomato paste over one side of each fillet; top with parsley, garlic powder and vegetable stock powder; place one slice of mozzarella onto each half of a fillet; roll each fillet (starting from the cheese end) and place seam side down. (Seal with a toothpick if needed).
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or oven-proof frying pan) over medium heat. Evenly coat the rolled chicken fillets into the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the chicken (seam side down again) into the preheated skillet/pan and cook on each side until the coating is golden brown and the cheese on the inside has melted (approx. 4-5 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low and pour in the pasta sauce.
- Move the chicken with tongs so the sauce is evenly covered over the base of the pan; allow to simmer until fragrant (approx. 1-2 minutes).
- Pour some sauce from the pan over each chicken; place skillet/pan in the oven to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven; top each chicken roll with remaining cheese slices; return to oven and allow to grill/broil on medium heat until cheese has melted over the top.
- Garnish with extra dried parsley and Italian herbs.
- Serve warm over pasta